Friday, October 2, 2009

Inside the cup


"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence." - Matthew 23:25 ESV. This Scripture came to mind as I looked down on my coffee cup today. It's a white cup, a gift from a vendor friend of mine. From the outside, it still looks like new. the inside tells the tale, however - my many cups of morning java have left some heavy staining. Before I commit it to the dishwasher, I am reminded of the Lord's words to those who put on a good front for others, but inside were not as clean as the outside appeared. How like us sometimes - putting on a good show for others, but if only others were to look inside! "For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7 ESV). What does the Lord see in me?

No comments: