Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lost....and Found - Jim Leaptrot

We received word late Monday evening that our friend, Jim Leaptrot, had left home that morning, and had not returned. He suffers from Alzheimer's. He has continued to drive locally, but evidently this time became greatly confused and could not find his way back. He was finally located in a hospital in Savannah, GA this evening (Tuesday) with moderate injuries sustained from rolling his pick-up truck. While details are sketchy, we know that he was at one time as far west as Tuskegee, AL, and as far south as Fortson, GA (near Jacksonville, FL).
We, as well as so many others, have agonized in prayer for the past 36 or more hours, longing for some good news of Jim's discovery. Many hearts were lifted to hear of God's provision and protection for His lost lamb. We wish him a speedy recovery, and will pray to that end.
The past days' incident has caused me to think, "when have I so agonized over THE lost?". I could hardly eat today, even being somewhat ashamed that I did. My friend was lost. I had trouble thinking about my duties at work. My friend was lost. Jesting and light-heartedness escaped me. My friend was lost. But I can't tell you when the spiritually lost have left me so troubled. Why not?
The spiritually lost, condemned and hell-bound, are in far worse condition than my friend Jim. Often, they too are running pillar to post, seeking what they cannot find. Peace. Rest. Home. And I have the answer. The Savior came to seek the lost (Luke 19:10). How can I not do likewise?

No comments: