Monday, November 19, 2007

Elliot Huges Up-Date

Nov 19, 2007 at 12:39 am

Dear ones,

I am so thankful for the opportunity to share another update concerning
Elliot. He was rushed back up to NICU last weekend with a final diagnosis by
Monday of Aspiration Pneumonia. On Tuesday, the doctor scheduled a
bronchoscope to see into his lungs and bronchi.

With much apprehension, we heard that the left upper lobe was probably not
developed and therefore could not inflate properly. This would mean probable
removal of the upper left lobe during the esophageal surgery. The doctor
assured us he would not take out the upper lobe unless he was completely
sure it was underdeveloped. Although the news wasn't good, we seemed to have
a peace about things.

The doctor also said that he was extending the esophageal surgery another
two weeks which makes things fall around Christmas rather than at Joe and
Sandy's wedding. Due to the pneumonia, Elliot will probably stay at
Children's Hospital throughout this time rather than send him home to let
the esophagus grow.

We desperately covet your prayers:

1. Elliot's surgery this week (possibly on Monday) - that they can find Dr.
Jorgenson (we hope he is not out of town). He has done the first surgery and
the bronchoscope and is more familiar with Elliot's body and mapping of
blood vessels. Also, that things will go well during surgery with
anesthesia, etc.

2. The esophagus to grow - it has grown at least a centimeter and needs
three more to go!

3. Josh and Angie - Josh is flying now some days as well as being a husband
and new daddy. Angie is shining as a mom and we all feel she should get her
honorary nursing degree after all this is over!

4. Grandparents and great grandparents - I think we have all put on a few
years since this has happened. We just want to be used of the Lord - Randy
and Nina and Buddy and myself. We not only are concerned for our precious
Elliot, but also for our own children, Josh and Angie, as we see them
physically drained from it all.

5. To continue to anchor our thoughts and actions in the Word of God.

6. His left lung - please pray they don't have to remove it, but that it
actually is developed correctly.

While waiting for "my turn" by Elliot's bed tonight, I pulled out my Bible
while sitting in the waiting room. I decided I needed a refresher on Hebrews
12 - to encourage me concerning the Lord's love for me even during the
discipline in my life. I pondered the thoughts of being God's own child and
being treated like a child, i.e. chastening included.  With the thoughts of
God's love flooding my mind, I still felt that my and my families' lives
were being catapulted up and down and over cliffs and crevices.

I continued to read until the end of the chapter, when I saw what I think
God really had for me to learn. Hebrews 12:28 states: "Therefore let us be
grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us
offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a
consuming fire."  Case closed - God is not moved because of all of this. He
is in control. May our hearts be overflowing with reverence and awe of His
might, power and unending love!

Thank you for continued prayers
Jan (Hughes)

No comments: